Bio not provided
Great breakdown Asher. Could Rivera potentially see time at FB also as the back-up to Reece? Having Rivera able to play at FB also could mean not having to carry a second FB and allow us to possibly carry an extra WR.
1 year, 6 months ago on Tale of the Tape: film breakdown of Raiders' rookie TE Mychal Rivera
I love the signing! Woodson at FS is a lot more appealing than Young. Hopefully Woodson can also help contribute as a mentor and leader for not just our DB's but the whole defense. Playing next to Woodson, it will not surprise me to see Branch as an All-Pro this season.
1 year, 7 months ago on Raiders sign Charles Woodson, hope for Rod Woodson production
QB: Flynn to be the starter, with Pryor being the backup and Wilson the #3. I think Flynn will have until around week 10 to show what he can do as a starter and if he has not shown much by then, Wilson will take over at QB. Also if Flynn happens to gets injured and is missing for more than 3 games then Wilson will be given his chance to start over Pryor.
Slot WR: I don't think both Ford and Cribbs will be kept. One of these guys will be one of the last cuts made or Ford possiby traded for a late round pick if Cribbs is kept. I think Vernon will make the final roster with Cribbs/Ford, Streater, Moore, Criner, and Butler.
RT: I think Barnes will begin the season as the starter, but Watson will see a few packages early on where he is used and will be the starter from the bye week onwards.
LG: From what I have heard, Soprano is very big on Bergstrom at Guard and I think he will be the starting LG right from the beginning of the season. By the end of the season I think Bergstrom will have found himself a permanent home at LG wedged between Veldheer and Wiz. I think Nix will be competing for the RG spot with Brisiel who will be on a short leash this year.
P: I think Kluwe will be named the starter with King being given another year on the IR to improve some more in preparation for being named the starter next season.
A couple other positions:
TE: I think we will have three new TE's on th roster this year: Kasa, Rivera and Leonhardt with all three seeing an almost split amountaofmthe field throughout the season.
Backup RB: I don't think Jennings makes the final roster. I think Murray will be the primary backup and will see plenty of action if only bcause McFadden is just too ofen injured. Stewart or Williams will be the third RB on the roster with the loser of these two going to the Practice Squad.
1 year, 7 months ago on Oakland Raiders' camp battle winners predictions
Currently I would give the draft a B+. If Hayden comes back strong (the only issue I see is Hayden not being as phyical because of the injury) this draft should deserve an 'A'. Personally I think people expect too much from the draft. I think if a team can pick up a starter in the first round, a solid backup / a player pushing for a start in the second and another solid backup / role player in the third a team has done well. And that is what McKenzie has done this year. Any player drafted fourth or lower (or as an undrafted Free Agent) who makes the team and contributes is a bonus in my books. This is why I have always been a fan of using lower round picks to trade up in the top 3 rounds as much as possible.
1 year, 7 months ago on Upon Further Review: Re-grading the Oakland Raidersâ 2013 Draft
I completely agree. At #3 Hayden would have been a reach. And what we got in return from the Dolphins was not enough, but given the circumstances McKenzie had to take what he could and getting a second round pick plus the guy he was after anyway should be considered a win. If Fisher or Joeckel were still available I think there would have been more trade options, but with those two gone the leverage McKenzie had was very limited.
As for the Hayden pick, I really like the pick and it would not surprise me at all if Hayden is the number one CB from this draft. I don't see the injury having any issues again in the future - it was simply a freak of an accident. The only worry about is that the injury holds him back and he doesn't play as hard as he may have before he was injured.
1 year, 7 months ago on Oakland Raiders' DJ Hayen is "the most physically gifted corner" per respected talent evaluator Greg Cosell
I was not expecting CB to be taken first round, but I can't fault the pick in anyway. Hayden has all the tools to be a number one CB and I think will be a starter from Day 1 with Porter and Newman battling out for the number two CB spot.
Nice mock. Personally I would rather see Dion Jordan over Ansah and Rex Burkhead over Riddick if he is available. Also Kelce instead of Williams. I think Kelce is going to be a very good TE and would love us to pick him up in the third round. Fingers crossed though we can trade down from #3 and try and pick up a couple extra picks though.
1 year, 8 months ago on Raiders 7 round mock draft
I think 49ers would be a good trade partner too, but I could see us first trading down with the Dolphins first. Dolphins can then take Joeckel or Fisher (I can't see both being gone in the first two picks) who it looks like they may be after. We could then pick up an second from the Dolphins and another extra mid-late round pick.
Then at #12 I think we could work out a deal again with the 49ers to trade down and pick up another second round pick plus another mid-late round pick. Pick #12 could be a great place for the 49ers to target Tavon Austin who I think they have big interest in.
1 year, 8 months ago on Exploring the Raiders' draft trade options
I don't think the Bills have much interest in Smith at all. I think they are more likely to try and trade down to somewhere in the 20's or move up from their second round pick back into the later part of the first round for Ryan Nassib - the Bills new coach Doug Marrone was the coach of Nassib at Syracuse. I would not be surprised at all to see Bills go either OL or Cordarrelle Patterson if they can't trade down and then re-trade into the first again for Nassib.
1 year, 8 months ago on 1st round mock, by Brad Bordyn
I'm liking the rumors of the Dolphins being interested in trading up for Joeckel or Fisher. I think we would be the perfect place to grab one of these two and could see us being able to pick up their first rounder, their first second rounder and then a mid-late round pick also. If the rumors about Dolphins being interested (and willingly) to trade a second round pick for Brandon Albert at one stage have any truth to it I think this could be a great trade for us.
1 year, 8 months ago on Multitude of signings allow Raiders draft flexibility
By the looks of things, Bucs want nothing to do with Sanchez! I do think Revis will end up being traded to the Bucs first but if the Jets don't get it sorted I think they will miss out. The Jets don't really have any sort of backup plan and if they don't get this trade sorted I think they will end up having to just let Revis walk at the end of the year with no compensation or will be lucky to get a second from anyone else due to the Contract Revis wants.
As for the best trade partner for us, I think it will be the Dolphins. They have made it known recently they are looking up to land either Jockel or Fisher and where we are would be the perfect position (I don't see both going 1 & 2). We should be able to pick up their first second round pick and another later round pick. The Dolphins were also said to have been interested in Brandon Albert at one stage too for a second round pick, so moving up to our position could possibly only cost an extra mid-late rounder for a younger guy they think may be the better option.
I would also go a step further, and say that the Dolphins #12 pick would be almost perfect for the 49ers who draft Tavon Austin who they seem to have a lot of interest in. We can then pick up the 49ers first, another second plus more. Then fingers crossed, pick up DT Jesse Williams from Alabama (he is a bit of a homer pick for me...), a safety like Eric Reid or Phillip Thomas with the Dolphins second and then maybe Kyle Long (or another guy for the OL) with the 49ers second round pick.
Best player available. But who will McKenzie see as the BPA? This could so so many ways! I am still hoping we can trade down to pick up a second round pick hopefully or even better would be a Rams or Vikings wanting a guy early in the draft and trading both their first rounders. I do think McKenzie will focus on the DL and OL in this draft as much as possible and build this team from the trenches out. Start with a great OL and you can make an average QB and RB look very good.
Along with Porter, newly signed Young and even newer reported re-signing Hanson I don't think we will have a secondary that will scare any QB, but they are solid additions and hopefully can combine to make a great secondary with Branch. Hopefully we can target one or two mid-round CB's like Leon McFadden, B.W. Webb or David Amerson.
1 year, 8 months ago on Raiders sign CB Mike Jenkins to a 1 year deal
This year, yes Flynn is a lock. But after this year he is not - which is why McKenzie reconstructed his Contract as he did. This way as you say, if Pryor makes a huge leap in progress this season, Flynn may be an "overpaid" backup this year, but next season he is off the books with very little dead money and for minimal compensation really. However, if Flynn makes huge strides and looks to be a quality starter at QB, then McKenzie has him locked up for pretty cheap for the next couple seasons.
Palmer was not the answer, and needed to be moved on elsewhere either be trade or release. Palmer obviously didn't want to be on the team any longer (which is not what you want from your QB / leader) so why drag out the inevitable? With this being obvious, Pryor needed competition and Flynn was the best available option. There were no better Free Agent options and as far as I am aware no better trade options either. Getting Flynn also meant QB didn't have to be a priority in the draft which I don't think has any better options than Pryor anyway. I would rather McKenzie possibly end up overspending on backup QB this year if Flynn looses out to Pryor than have to waste an early draft pick on a rookie QB or sign one of the pitiful Free Agent options left like Vince Young.
1 year, 8 months ago on What the Palmer and Flynn trades mean for the Raiders cap
I do like Vaccaro, but think Eric Reid is going to be the top Safety from this draft.
1 year, 8 months ago on 1st round mock by Tyler Hunt
If McKenzie and Allen don't see Pryor as the future at QB (which is the way things look), maybe Pryor could be traded to either the Eagles for Nick Foles or the Redskins for Kirk Cousins? I see Pryor better suited to run both the Eagles and Redskins Offenses than Foles and Cousins respectively; and both these guys would probably be better suited to our Offense than Pryor.
From what I have read there is no guaranteed money in 2014 (or 2015) unless Flynn is on the roster in week 1 - then his salary for the year is fully guaranteed at that point. It seems this may have been what the hold-up was with getting Flynn acquired as it is essentially a 1-year Contract with team options for 2014 and 2015.
Not really a fan of Mingo, but would love to see us trade down to the Bills 8. Would love it even more if w could then trade down again (to one of the Vikings spots or so) where I think Jesse Williams will still be available (I think 15 is a little too early) and nab Williams. If we were to just draft to the Bills position though and Milliner was still available like in your scenario I think we would be crazy to let the guy past us.
What are you 12? Grow up buddy
I'm not too fussed about the Sims signing too much but I really love the Vance Walker signing.
Does anyone see us moving to a 3-4 defense? Currently a DL of Houson and Walker as 3-4 DE's and Sims as the NT actually does not look too bad. We now would enough decent LB's to make this work also. And I do think Burris would be better as a 3-4 rushing LB like he played in college than in the 4-3. If this is the case and we could trade down a couple times in the first to get to the lower quarter of the first round while picking up couple second round picks I would love to see us draft Jesse Williams to rotate in. He could play both DE and NT in he 3-4.
1 year, 8 months ago on By the Numbers: 2012 vs 2013 Raiders defensive tackles
This is the the guy I wanted when Campbell got hurt!! Hopefully Flynn and Pryor have an open QB with the best guy winning the job. I thik this would be Flynn, but if it is Pyor so be it - just glad to see Palmer gone. I also like that McKenzie made the Contract of Flynn fully guaranteed this year so really this is almost a "1-year deal". If Flynn wins the QB battle and fails to do much as a starter or if Pryor happens to outright be the best QB during the off-season the team can cut Flynn without any more major salary cap implications.
I'm liking your moves McKenzie!!
From what I have seen / hard about this guy it looks like he could also be a very good 3-4 DE. If we could trade down and pick up a a few extra picks I think we could pick up a solid NT to play in a rotation with Pat Sims then have Walker and Houston as the DE's in a 3-4 front. Someone like Star Lotuleli if we can trade down to 10-15 maybe? Or Jesse Walker if we can pick up a second round pick and he is still around?
We could then pick up a decent pass rushing LB in the mid rounds (Brandon Jenkins from Florida State?) to add into a LB rotation. Miles Burris I think could floursh more as a 3-4 pass rushing LB also.
1 year, 8 months ago on Tale of the Tape: DT Vance Walker
I don't think we will cut Palmer ouright at all. hat I could see happening is him being traded though. A few trades I can see being made:
1. Bills trading up with us to #3 to take Geno Smith. We could pickup the Bills R1 #8 pick, there R2 #10 and Fred Jackson...
2. With Fred Jackson, McFadden can then be traded to... Bengals. I don't think McFadden will be back next year and I could see the Bengals traded their R2 #23 for McFadden. They have our R2 pick and already have a solid team without a lot of big glaring holes they need to fill and plenty of cap room currently. What they do need is a spark in the running game and McFadden + Green-Ellis would make a very good RB duo (I was hoping we would sign Green-Ellis ourselves last year). Let's also not forget who the Bengals RB coach is this season: Hue Jackson.
3. I think we could then posisbly trade down a couple more spots again (with maybe the Dolphins to #12?) and picking up a R3 pick in the process. The reason I have picked the Dolphins is that I think that Joeckel and Fisher will both be gone here and the Dolphins are not going to want to see Lane Johnson go at #11 to the Chargers (this would also help us stick one to the Chargers to!) and miss out on getting there LT replacement.
4. After the first day of the draft I think we ould then trade Palmer to the Jaguars or Jets for a fourth round pick plus a conditional 2013 pick depending on how his season goes.
5. As much as McClain is as good as gone I think he will be held on too until after the draft in the hope we can get something for him. I could see a team like the Colts that need some help at LB in their new 3-4 defense and with plenty of cap room giving up a R6 pick for him.
I think we could then draft the best player available at #12. Chance Wormack maybe to strengthen the OL? Star Lotulelei if we are looking at moving to a 3-4? Or another DT like Sheldon Richardson? Maybe CB Xavier Rhodes because we need as much help as we can at DB! Either way at #12 the choice for a top quality player will still be plentiful!
1 year, 8 months ago on The Carson Palmer question: the Raidersâ options
@JarrodRollins I disagree about Pryor. He needs a chance to prove himself and why not let it be this year? The team is completely rebuilding next year and having Palmer or not makes no difference. He isn't going to make this team a playoff team in any way so sned him on his way and start fresh. Keep Pryor and bring in another couple young QB's to compete. I would love to see Cousins traded for but I don't see the Redskins giving him up too easy with RG3's health still not certain. Same as Yates or Mallett coming cheap. I was hoping we would re-sign Jason Campbell again or Matt Moore but they are off the market now. One guy I think that could do with another chance in different sceneray is Colt McCoy. I think he has had a real hard deal with the Browns having nothing at WR or RB to help him when he had was starting.
I agree we need someone other than Palmer, but would still like to see more from Pryor. One game isn't a good measuring stick, but I was happy with the way he played, the way we could make plays happen with his feet and the leadership he showed (especially in regards to the Mike Goodson incident).
1 year, 11 months ago on 2013 NFL Draft: Ranking the QBs
OK heres my take...
Phillip Adams - He should come cheap, is young and will only get better (hopefully!).
Khalif Barnes – PLEASE NO!!!
Desmond Bryant – Needs to be kept. Good young player who should be teaming with Houston on the DL for years to come. Should be the first-equal Free Agent priority for this team.
Duke Calhoun - Could be easily replaced by another Undrafted Free Agent. No loss to the team.
Cooper Carlisle – As mentioned he is very durable even if he is getting old. Until we work out who the new OC is going to be and what OL formation will be run, this is up in the air. But if he is cheap enough, at very least he can be a decent backup.
Andre Carter – I am not sure about Carter. He didn’t do anything to wow me, but he also didn’t have me pulling my hair out. I he came cheap enough then yes I would like to see him kept, but wouldn’t be overly worried to see him gone either.
Jamie Crumbie - A cheap camp body with an outside chance to make the team maybe?
Coye Francies - As per Calhoun.
Omar Gaither – See Carter. Would like to see a young rookie drafted to anchor the middle of this Defense, but again if he was cheap enough he would at very least be a decent backup.
Matt Giordano – I love the heart and passion Gio plays with. But, he isn’t starter material. Would keep as a backup at the right cost however.
Mike Goodson – Would like to see him re-signed especially if the ZBS is kept (then McFadden needs to be traded). Either way is a quality backup who was good when given the chance.
Derek Hagan – If one or more of DHB, Ford or Moore happen to be traded or released then Hagan would make a decent fourth or fifth WR and should come cheap enough. But again wouldn’t fuss me much if Hagan was let go. Joselio Hanson – Should come cheap enough to be re-signed for depth. Not sure he is starter material, but is good for depth.
Zach Hurd - See Calhourn.
Rashawn Jackson - His chance has passed. Jeremy Stewart has the number 3 RB position for now.
Shane Lechler – Depends on the salary he wants, but I think he will be too expensive to keep around. King looked to have a great leg in camp / pre-season. It would be a shame to see Lechler in any other uniform however.
Matt Leinart – See ya later! Below average back-up. Would rather see Pryor being the top backup (if not starter).
Mike Mitchell – If he can be re-signed at a good price then I would love to see him back. A lot like Gio – plays with a ton of heart and passion. Wouldn’t mind seeing Mitchell being given a chance to start at SS and moving Branch to FS.
Brandon Myers – At the right price, yes. Hopefully this season won’t blow his Contract wants out the water. Maybe a lowish base number with a few bonus clauses would be best?
Alex Parsons - Should be able to be kept for relatively cheap and I think could compete for a starting job. I would actually like to see Wiz moved back to LG (I think he is best here and makes a fierce tandem with Veldheer) and Parsons given a chance at C.
Brandian Ross - Will be re-signed pretty cheaply and be competing for some serious playing time.
Richard Seymour – If he is willingly to play for a quarter of what he has been getting (around $2.5 mil a season) then keep him and reduce his playing time to a more rotational role.
Matt Shaughnessy – Has he reached his peak already? Or was he stilling playing hurt from the previous season? Either way he didn’t play to the previous potential he has shown before. If he wants to much, let him walk. If he is cheap enough, re-sign.
Shawntae Spencer – No thanks!
Jeremy Stewart - Will be re-signed pretty cheaply and will compete with a roster spot as a third RB or higher especially if Goodson isn't re-signed.
Philip Wheeler – Should be the number one priority with Bryant! Arguably the Defense MVP with Houston. Unfortunately his Contract price could have just boomed with his play this year.
1 year, 11 months ago on 2013 Raiders Predictions: Free Agents
1. I really hope Palmer is not back next season! Too many bad passes and turnovers from a veteran QB for my liking. Sure he has not been as bad this year as what he was last season, but I just think he has caused us to loose more than win. Most of his yards are in garbage time after we have fallen behind and need to play catch!
2. I do not know this for sure, but could maybe those numbers of DHB be skewed by DHB being kept in for a lot more snaps when the team is running the ball due to his better run blocking? Also I cannot put much blame on DHB for not being targeted as much. In saying this I would love to see a lot more of Streater and Criner next season.
3. If the ZBS is retained, then McFadden needs to go! These two just do not go together. I think seeing the way Reece, Goodson and even Stewart have performed behind this line should be all the evidence needed.
1 year, 11 months ago on 2013 Raiders Predictions: Offense
I have said previously I really hope Allen does not get dumped after year. What Allen and McKenzie are putting together will take time and as much as we all want the team to finally just start winning some games, it is going to take a couple of seasons to re-shape the roster as they want it. Burris has been a starter from day one and more than I could ever expected from a fourth rounder rookie. Criner and Streater have also shown good promise as a fifth round pick and undrafted rookie. Throw in the signing of Wheeler and I cannot fault McKenzie so far.
While I don't see Pryor as the answer necessarily at QB, neither is Palmer. He is not "bad" but he is also not going to win us much either. Palmer forces passes he shouldn't and makes decisions I would expect from Pryor not a seasoned vet like Palmer. I do think Pryor may bring a new energy to this Offense that Palmer has not shown. In my opinion the team does not follow their QB like they should which I think has been the case since Campbell went down last year. At that point the team sunk with him and I don't think the players have really "raised" back since.
Bergstorm needs to be given the rest of the season at RT. He cannot do any worse than Barnes and/or Smith. And with the college experience at RT he wouldn't be coming in completely blind.
Other changes I would now like to see from this team are:
1. GET REECE MORE INVOLVED!!! With McFadden gone, Reece carried this team on Offense. He is the heart and soul and needs to be given as many touches as possible. While at it keep Stewart active. He also looked good the last couple of seasons. I think it is pretty obvious McFadden doesn't suit this offense. We have all seen enough to know this!!
2. Keep McClain deactivated. I think we are stuck in a real tight place right now with McClain. If he is kept he accounts for what I believe is $6.675 million next year. And if he is cut the hit number is $7.26 million against the cap next year! He could be put on Waivers but if he is not picked up, we are screwed! So what happens from now with McClain will be a tough decision. Even if he is traded in the off-season next year I believe are still stuck with the $7.26 million cap hit. So keep him around and put him on the IR with a bogus injury maybe?
3. Put Seymour on IR and relegate Kelly to the bench. Both have performed far under my expectations from them, both are getting old and don't have much left in the tank. Start Bryant (he has looked pretty good at times) and Bilukidi and see what they can do.
4. Sign Kirk Morrison back to the team. He is now a FA and I don't think much of Gaither at all. He played with an intensity at MLB with all heart and passion. Bring him back to the Silver & Black where he belongs and start him at the inside for the remainder of the season and then let him compete next year. At very least he is better than any of the other reserve LB's on this team.
5. Give Criner and Streater even more looks. These two are the future at WR. I am not sure what is going on with Moore, and as much as I like DHB I can see him being fazed out for more of Criner and Streater.
2 years ago on 3 Observations from Raiders-Broncos
Another disappointing game! This team needs a good overhaul but unfortunately at the end of the season McKenzie and Allen will be with their backs up against the wall again with little cap room at all. I was hoping some cap room could be gained by cutting McClain (FYI I wanted JPP!) but according to Peter King if McClain is cut the money assigned to the cap would be $7.26 million compared to $6.675 million if he is kept on! Maybe he is kept and put straight onto IR next season...
Talking about IR, why has Seymour not been put on IR. Seymour was playing like a shell of himself prior to being injured and probably won't be back next season so why have him stick around for this lost season? Lets give Bryant more gametime to see what he can do and see more of Bilukidi and bring in another young DT. I think it was Dominique Hamilton tht didn't look too bad in the off-season.
Other defense moves I would to see made:
1. Move Branch to FS and have Mitchell starting at SS. Giordano is good as a role player in certain situations but he should not be starting. Branch and Mitchell are a better combination at safety than Giordano and Branch so why not have the two better guys out on the field? Also I think Branch could be a very good FS also.
2. Sign Capt. Kirk!!! He may have played only one game but I don't see Gaither being the answer we need at MLB. Morrison bleed Silver and Black (still does) and put his heart into every play. He is also the leader we need at MLB. McClain can be demoted all together and stay inactive.
3. Get Wheeler re-signed. Don't risk letting him leave at the end of the season.
Offense, start Pryor. Let's see what he can do. While Palmer may not have "lost" us many games this year he also has not won us any either. Most of his yards come when all we are so far behind it doesn't matter. Palmer still makes erratic throws a veteran like him should not and is not going to get any better.
Put McFadden on IR also. Some people may not like this much but bringing him back won't offer much. Reece and Stewart have looked good at RB and if we bring McFadden back now and he fails again, whatever trade value he may have for the the off-season will drop even more.
While the team is at it, bench Barnes and Denarius Moore. Willie Smith was terrible, Barnes is slightly better, but is still beyond starter material. Give Bergstorm a shot at RT. He has the experience having played there for a lot of his time at College. I am not sure what is going on with Moore, but Streater and Criner are both looking good better. A lot better. More game time for these two cannot hurt.
2 years ago on THE FEAR OF LOSS IS A PATH TO THE DARK SIDE
As much as I like Gruden I think he is an overrated coach and not what this team needs. I have said it before, but Allen and McKenzie need more time!! They need a couple seasons to blow this team up and get it back on track.
You cannot blame Allen (and McKenzie for that matter) for doind what they had to with the blown salary cap and lack of draft choices. I actually consider this draft so far a success with what the few picks they had. Burris looks to be on his way to being a very good LB, Criner is starting to really push the other guys at WR for playing time, and Streater has been more than could be asked for from a Undrafted FA Rookie.
2 years ago on Raiders vs Bengals: 3 takeaways
3. I still am not a big fan of blaming the coaches right now - with maybe the exception of Knapp. The Offense didn't need to change from last season and by doing so we have ended up with a bunch of guys who's roles are different to what they are use too. This is a screw up on Knapp not Allen in my opinon. Tarver has come into a very hard situation with this defense and I just can't put much of the blame on him - this is on the players. The DL is playing way below any sort of decent quality level (with the exception of Houston and I would even say Bryant here too). Kelly and Seymour have both looked like a shell of themselves this year. McClain is a complete liability (even if he has the odd decent game now and again) to this team but unfortunately we don't have much else behind him right now! The secondary has been decimated with injuries and I think we can all say we knew going into the season the depth would be lacking here.
2. McFadden should have to earn the starting HB position of Reece when he gets back from injury, and if what has happened the last few weeks is anything to go off, McFadden won't be gettung the starting position back! I would even consider putting McFadden on IR as I really think he will (should) be traded in the off-season and if he comes back and stinks it up more it will only decrease his worth even more. Reece may not have the potential to take it to the house like McFadden but he is consistant at getting the 4 odd yards you want from a RB and those runs from McFadden are to far between. Plus Stewart has looked alright in his backing up Reece. Personally I would rather see us using Reece with Schimtt at FB right now.
1. Mike Brisiel has been highly disapointing as a Free Agent signing. Add in the fact Carlisle has dropped off his play sufficiently this year and RT having either Smith or Barnes (who are both as bad as each other) and Veldheer and Wiz are going to struggle blocking everyone themselves! We have a solid cornerstone LT in Veldheer and a top young interior OL in Wiz. The rest of the OL needs to be pulled apart. Bring Parsons into LG (or C and move Wiz to LG) and have Bergstorm take over at RT (his College position). That still leaves us with Brisiel for now but would definitely be a start to trying to correct things. I can't see Bergstorm and Parsons doing any worse!
Firstly, I won't get started about Palmer! I don't blame him for these losses at all but he does force too many throws and makes what I consider rookie mistakes too often. Also, I still think he is missing the type of leadership that Campbell showed with getting the team able to rally behind him.
Secondly, it's about time Reece got the ball in his hands more often! How it has taken this far into the season and few injuries for this to happen?!? I would honestly consider keeping him at RB or at least splitting the carries with McFadden when he is back.
Finaly, as for the Defense, you missed one guy: Lamarr Houston. His stats may not be the best but if he had the supporting cast around him helping, he would be being discussed as a Defense POTY with Watt and Aldon Smith. Also I'm not sure about Giordano being kept around! Don't get me wrong he has the heart of a Lion and tries his ass out on thefield but he just doesn't have the talent (reminds me of a former favourite QB of mine in Bruce Gradkowski).
2 years, 1 month ago on Into the garbage chute
Wow, that loss hurt like hell. But let's be honest did anyone really expect much else this year? Going into this year I think most of us knew it was going to be tough. With the battle just to get under the salary cap and with such a limited amount of draft choices it was always going to be a long year. McKenzie and Allen need a couple seasons to build this team their way and if anyone thought everything was going to fall in place so easily they were dreaming.
A couple changes I would like to see this team make going forward are:
1. Start Bergstrom at RT. It can't get any worse than starting Smith! You know things are bad when people start wanting Barnes back starting! Also bring Parsons into the starting lineup over Carlisle. Carlisle is on his last legs by the looks so let's see what Parsons looks like. At the beginning of the season he looked decent enough starting for Wiz.
2. Let's see more of Criner and Streater and less of Hagan. Nothing against Hagan at all, but Criner and Streater are the future (along with Moore and to a lesser extent DHB) not Hagan.
3. Try and re-sign Stanford Routt. I will be the first to say I was happy to see his large salary go at the start of the season. But this team needs secondary help and Routt would automatically go back to being a starter in the secondary. He is already earning $11 million or so this year so it would not surprise me to see him being able to be signed to a veteran minimum contract for the remainder of the season. This would allow Routt to show he deserves another bigger contract next year so could be a win-win situation for both Routt and the team. Routt would then be able to start opposite Bartell and move Huff back to FS.
4. Let's see some changes on the DL. I would really love to see Bryant and Houston (I think he can be as good as Geno Atkins) starting at DT with Shaughnessy remaining at DE and having Carter and Tollefson rotating at the other DE position. Kelly and Seymour are also on their last legs and need to start being phased out. Also let's see what Bilukidi and Crawford can do.
5. Start phasing McClain out even more. I really can't see him being on this time come next season and I don't think his trade value is going to go up by playing him more. Try Burris at MLB and Clayton at WLB. Also give Wheeler a contract extension!
6. Let's see what Pryor can do. In no way am I saying bench Palmer, but at least activate Pryor and give him some time on the field. If we are being blown out in a game again, why not see what Pryor can do.
Finally come seasons end one of two things needs to happen: Either trade McFadden or change the Offensive Scheme. Because the two just do not go together!
2 years, 1 month ago on With bad loss to Baltimore, Raiders' Allen should look to the future
I hope for D but cannot see this happening, so C may be the way to go.
2 years, 1 month ago on The tale of McFadden to continue elsewhere?
I agree Huff should stay at CB for the remainder of the season. This day and age you need three starter quality Cornerbacks anyway and behind Spencer and Bartell (when they are even healthy) is not much else starter worthy in this league. If Huff does remain at CB I would like to see Branch moving to FS and Mitchell giving a chance at SS as I think this is a stronger combination than Giordano and Branch.
2 years, 1 month ago on Upon Further Review: State of the Raiders after week 7
Firstly, big congrats to Lamarr Houston for being named AFC Defensive POTW. Nice to see him getting some recognition for once.
Secondly, Very ugly win indeed. I still think McFadden needs to be traded by the deadline. The team won't be changing from the ZBS and I think we have seen more than enough to see McFadden is just not suited to this offense. Give Goodson a chance to see what he can do this year (has looked pretty good in his limited touches) and if he can't stay consistent we can pickup a late round RB or Free Agent next season.
Finally, Willie Smith needs to go! Bergstrom has experience at RT so why not give him a chance? He can't do any worse!! I would also like to see Wiz being moved back to LG (he looks like a more natural fit here) and Parsons given a chance at Center.
2 years, 1 month ago on Now that's more like it
I wonder what we could get from the Ravens for McClain with Lewis gone for the season. I am sure we could grab someone who would be more valuable to us than McClain! Jah Reid to help the OL? Ed Dickson for TE depth? NT/DT Terrence Cody (be a good NT pickup)? Arthur Jones another player to help our DL?
2 years, 2 months ago on Thoughts from the Dark Side
As much as I would hate to see McFadden go, if this team insists on using the ZBS McFadden needs to be traded. He is just not suited to the ZBS at all. Pure and simple. Doesn't mean he isn't a quality RB but he would be a lot better suited in a power running offense. In the limited chance Goodson has had he has looked a lot more dangerous and I really think Goodson needs to start seeing the ball more.
"If Raiders can get run game going, many other pieces will fall into place"...
"IF" being the key word. It's not looking to promising at the moment thats for sure! If McFadden keeps racking up 2-yards a carry how long before we start to see more of Jones and Goodson? Maybe it is just the fact that McFadden is not suited to the ZBS - Just like we ound DeAngelo not suited to Man Coverage or the Eagles are finding with Nnamdi not suited to the Zone Defense.
If this is the case do we change our Offense to suit our star Offensive weapon? Or do we trade the star Offensive weapon and find someone who is better suited? Ben Tate comes right to mind - he won't be happy getting a few carries behind Foster forever when it's obvious he has all the skills to be a number one RB himself.
2 years, 3 months ago on If Raiders can get run game going, many other pieces will fall into place | August
I think the biggest mistake this off-season was going back to the ZBS. This just does not suit McFadden at all.
2 years, 3 months ago on Raiders drop to 0-2 after losing 35-13 to Dolphins | August
Let's be honest, Lee is nowhere near a starting calibre CB! He shouldn't be any more than playing in the Dime.
I think everyone knows how much I hate Palmer, and while I don't think he had a great game he certainly wasn't the reason we lost either. In saying this we do need to look at a QB in the draft but I would be looking at someone around the third round (trading for Colt McCoy maybe?) as Palmer doesn't have much left in the tank. I also agree first and foremost we need a shutdown CB.
Wheeler is playing great and Burris is playing well enough that Curry will find it damn hard to get his starting job back. Maybe Curry needs to replace McClain? He looked terrible!
Also I am really wanting Cooley to be added (or possibly Winslow also who has just been cut) with most probably Ausberry being the odd man out.
2 years, 3 months ago on Raiders announce cuts to 53, squad still incomplete | August
I can see Francies being the first guy cut if/when we are able to sign another LB (was hoping Kilgore would be kept). I can also see McCann being cut soon if we are able to get another WR (who can also being a returner). Otherwise I don't think any real surprises. Hoping Hamilton makes it to the Practice Squad and putting King on the IR is good move as he has a booming leg if we can't get Lechler re-signed next season.
I believe Stupar has been signed to the Practice Squad. I am hoping Kilgore makes the Practice Squad also.
I don't think Parrish will last long in the Silver & Black with that performance! Bring back Rock Cartwright (just cut by the 49ers)!!
2 years, 3 months ago on Raiders lose to Seahawks 21-3, so what? | January
@Raider Nate 75
Curry I can see being put on the PUP list for the first six weeks before the team decides if he is needed or not. Schmitt I don't see being cut as we need to have a bulldozing blocker like himself. Ausberry may find himself gone to the Practice Squad (I believe he is eligible) especially if we can sign Cooley (who I really hope we do!). McCann I think will be a goner if Parrish shows any sort of returning promise as he offers more as a backup WR also than McCann. Pat Lee I'm not sure on. Depends if another DB can be picked up I think.
2 years, 3 months ago on Predicting the 2012 final roster, post-camp | January
Let's bring in Chris Cooley now to strengthen the TE group. He is on the decline from his best but is still serviceable for a couple years and I think would shoot straight to the top of our depth chart.
P.S. "...averaged 12 touchdowns per return as well as returning 3 of them for TDs." You may want to correct that!
2 years, 3 months ago on Raiders reportedly sign return specialist Roscoe Parrish | August