Early stage venture capitalist. Love working with energetic entrepreneurs working to change the world.
As a long-time investor in Klout I fee terribly proud of what Joe and the team has accomplished. At every step I have had to talk to cynics that just could not get the vision. At each opportunity our fund has increased our position as we are believers in Joe, his vision, and the product road map. Building companies is not easy, it takes passion, faith and a certain unreasonableness.
Two of my limited partners recently came across this post:
one said "This guy is one cool dude and I would wish him the best of luck even if I didn't have one penny invested."
the other said "Outstanding blog piece - so much truth in what he says......"
2 days, 5 hours ago on Startups aren’t supposed to be easy
As a NY based VC I find Jim's perspective at odds with our experience. About 80% of what we see is via warm introductions. The other 20% if from happenstance and cold calls. About 95% of what we invest in results from the 80% of warm introductions, but without the other 20% we would not have invested in @500px, @Adcade, @InteraXon and @UniKey. These are great companies doing amazing things.
I can understand given the limited time a VC has that warm introductions become 100% of what they look at as on a probabilistic basis it is a better use of time, but then given the power curve of return distribution they just might miss out on a great company.
3 months ago on Sheer madness: With VCs get an intro or get lost
@John Hazlewood But look how easy it is to install this:
3 months, 1 week ago on Life after “Shark Tank” — The real story of how UniKey finally came to market
@John Hazlewood check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AGX_U0lqWU for more details
4 months, 1 week ago on Life after “Shark Tank” — The real story of how UniKey finally came to market
@pivotalmd @jrmyhdgs Check out http://amzn.to/160jMg4 - you can now pre-order the Kevo on Amazon.
@MunlyLeong Totally true. If we had an aversion of flying (and we are based in NY) then we would have missed out on investing in (to name a few) great companies such as Livefyre, Klout, 500px, UniKey and, of course, CSOD.
6 months, 1 week ago on Lessons from a rare $2 billion LA tech win: “I was competing with both hands tied behind my back”
As an early investor in CSOD I can tell you that Adam Miller is the real deal and this company has a long way to go.
6 months, 4 weeks ago on Lessons from a rare $2 billion LA tech win: “I was competing with both hands tied behind my back”
@John Hazlewood Codes are all well and fine, but would you not like to know who entered, when and only during the period they are authorized.
7 months ago on Life after “Shark Tank” — The real story of how UniKey finally came to market
Very excited to start using Kevo.
7 months ago on ff Venture Capital - Ditch your keychain for the Kwikset Kēvo – turns your smarphone into an electronic key!
@jrmyhdgs Good observation. Our view is that best of breed point solutions win if they have the right API's with the right vendors. The current state-of-the art home automation systems are a UI disaster. Ultimately, your question boils down to whether I have one app that has tabs for security, lighting, HVAC etc. or one app for each: i.e. minimal difference. Our investment in UniKey was based on the deep technology stack and complexity involved that has been simplified so average people can love it. You have to see it to believe it, and unfortunately I have that advantage here over you...but only for a couple of months ;)
@idsigs I would like to find one too. ;)
7 months, 3 weeks ago on The Future of Human Resources
I think the article should say ff Venture Capital and not Venture capital ~ I just suspect so ;)
8 months, 4 weeks ago on AngelList helps Distil Networks raise $200K in under a week
@jpgallo It all depends on the circumstances, but when it is being used to bridge (sic.) during a period of high growth we have not seen it cause a signaling issue.
10 months ago on ff Venture Capital - Convertibles: great cars, bad vehicles
Check out $CSOD. They have been attacking the talent management space for over a decade and are growing revenues 60% a year for the past 6 years servicing large corporations and government to address these specific issues. The crazy thing is no one seems to know about the company. Stock up over 60% last year and over 10% year to date. The ROI from using the $CSOD platform is obscene for large companies ~ thus the massive adoption rate. Over 10,3mm seats at the end of Q3 2012 and could get to 20mm seats by the end of this year.
10 months, 2 weeks ago on The Future of Human Resources
Best practice has to be to get ahead of these issues.
11 months, 3 weeks ago on ff Venture Capital - Is Your App Next? Major Airline Sued For Mobile Privacy Violations - Cover Your Apps Today!
Wishing you some festive fun and happy, healthy and prosperous 2013.
11 months, 4 weeks ago on ff Venture Capital - Happy Holidays from ff Venture Capital - 2012
Wishing everyone happy holidays and a happy, health and prosperous 2013.
12 months ago on Conversation @ http://127.0.0.1:8000/about/holiday2011/
1 year ago on ff Venture Capital - Thankful for a Strong Community
Sarah: love to get your comparative on NY vs. SF re culture.
My latest conversation: Any.Biz Has Moved!
1 year ago on Bitching and hard work aside, any entrepreneur in the Valley has a lot to be thankful for
We are excited to have Moveline join our growing portfolio of companies (http://ffvc.com/companies/) and really think that not only is the team on to something really amazing, but also that they are a great team. Fred and Kelly are the real deal and in the short time we have got to know them proven to us that they have the ability to grow an amazing company. We also are excited to be investing along side such a great group of successful investors.
1 year, 1 month ago on Moveline raises $1.5 million to deal with moving companies (so you never have to)