Livefyre Profile

Activity Stream

@Shakepeare56 

The environmental study is called "Chukchi Sea Planning Area Oil and Gas Lease Sale 193 Draft Second Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement," and it is available on the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management's Alaska website at:


http://www.boem.gov/uploadedFiles/BOEM/About_BOEM/BOEM_Regions/Alaska_Region/Leasing_and_Plans/Leasing/Lease_Sales/Sale_193/Lease_Sale_193_DraftSSEIS_vol1.pdf.


The section of the study that evaluates the likelihood of large oil spills begins on page 153. That section considers a scenario in which oil and gas is developed and produced from the proposed leases in the Chukchi Sea and describes the method that BOEM used to analyze the likelihood of large oil spills over the lifetime of the potential development. According to page 154 of the study, BOEM's analysis "indicates there is a 75% chance of one or more large spills occurring over the 77 years of the Scenario, and a 25% chance of no spills occurring."

4 days, 1 hour ago on The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Rules in Favor of the Ocean

Reply

 @seaturtlelover

In December 2004, a cargo ship lost power and ran aground in the Aleutian Islands near Dutch Harbor. Tragically, responders and crew were killed during the rescue attempt. The ship broke apart and discharged its cargo (over 60 million metric tons of soybeans) as well as fuel oil, diesel, and other contaminants. Then, of course, there was the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill in Prince William Sound that resulted in the discharge of roughly 11 million US gallons.

1 year, 10 months ago on A Rocky End to 2012 for Shell’s Arctic Drillships

Reply

 @rach4775

The National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) uses a 15% threshold to define ice-free areas. In other words, if a particular area (or "data cell," in NSIDC parlance) has an ice concentration greater than 15%, that area (or data cell) is considered ice covered. If it has less than that, it is considered ice free. Defining "ice-free Arctic" is less precise. It is not likely that every last bit of ice will disappear from the Arctic Ocean any time soon. Even at the end of the summer melt season, there will likely be some remnant ice in some locations. According to the NSIDC website, many climate scientists use the term "ice-free' Arctic as a shorthand way of saying that there will be very little reflective surface at the end of the summer melt season.

2 years ago on Arctic Sea Ice is Melting Faster Than Predicted As Commercial Activity Increases

Reply