Bio not provided
Awesome, this is the kind of business I want to support!Maybe some kind of contest could be held to find an alternative material for toothbrush bristles meeting a certain set of criteria. Wikipedia says they used to be made from animal hairs until plastic ones became common. Has Ro talked to any materials science people?
1 year, 6 months ago on Brush With Bamboo is my new favorite toothbrush
@BethTerry Just sent a response to that effect. I'll pass along their reply when I get it.
2 years, 3 months ago on What Do You Think of the Plastic Produce Packaging at Trader Joe's Nowadays?
Awesome, Julia! I got a reply from Trader Joe's to the message I mentioned below, and it said basically "We'd like to avoid plastic, but right now that would be too expensive." Do you have a sense of what cost constraints you'd have to meet in order to make an alternative feasible for TJ's?
Hey Beth, I sent a message to TJ's telling them I'd like to be able to take home less plastic from their stores and asked them to contact you.
Here are my answers to your questions:
1) Do you shop at Trader Joe’s? 2) If so, where? What area of the country? Please be as specific as you feel comfortable being.
Yes, in Concord, CA.
3) Do you think Trader Joe’s produce packaging is actually worse than other stores in your area? Why or why not?
Not sure in general, but in produce, definitely yes. More plastic packaging of produce than either Safeway or my local produce market.
4) Does your Trader Joe’s offer any produce that is not wrapped in plastic? If so, what kinds of things?
The items you showed above are all I can think of.
5) What items are the worst offenders? What items would you love to see sold unpackaged?
Produce is the only thing I'd like to see unpackaged. For other things, I'd like to see genuinely recyclable, reusable or biodegradable packaging. I know it'll take some serious research to offer TJ's some practical alternatives there.
6) If we started a campaign, what which of the following things would you be willing to do?
Any of the things you listed. I'd also be willing to do research into what alternative packaging might be practical for TJ's, although I might need some guidance from you on where and how to do that research.
2 years, 5 months ago on What Do You Think of the Plastic Produce Packaging at Trader Joe's Nowadays?