Bio not provided
A few of the transfers were one and done (Keion Bell, Alex Oriakhi, Jordan Clarkson). Earnest Ross stayed 2 years as has Jabari Brown (who may stay for 3). Next year Cam Beiedsheid, Deuce Bello and Zach Price come aboard. They should all be there a minimum of 2 years. Coach Haith had to rebuild an empty roster left by Suitcase Mike Anderson. Transfers were the best available option. In the future, expect many more HS recruits with an occasional JC player or impact transfer thrown in.
11 months, 1 week ago on Clarkson – SEC’s #7 Scorer This Season – Leaves Missouri For The Pros
Michael Sam (consensus All American), Justin Britt ( all SEC), LaDamian Washington (10 tds) were all 2 star recruits. As were current NFL players Sean Weatherspoon, Andrew Gachkar, and Danario Alexander, Aldon Smith was a low rated 3 star. Starting CB Randy Ponder was a walk on as was starting LG Max Copeland. But somehow these guys play and produce at Mizzou and beyond. Pinkie clearly knows what he is looking for and how to develop players. Just because some kids get an extra star by their name, it doesn't mean they'll pan out. Mizzou will do just fine.
1 year, 2 months ago on SEC Commitment Comparator – 12/17/13 Vs 12/21/12
@BillRauhuff See the above response to mborokyvol.
1 year, 4 months ago on SEC Game Previews – 11/1/13
@mborokyvol Your prediction was spot on---if we lived in Opposite World! At least the Vols got a FG. Good job by you!
If UGA and SC win out and Mizzou wins 3 out of 4 (with their loss being to Ole Miss or AtM) they win the East in a tiebreaker. If MU is a good team, they will beat UT at home and win at UK, even with Mauk. Franklin and Gaines will also be back this week or next, which helps the Tigers tremendously. That is a very likely scenario, provided UGA beats Auburn. With Gurley and others back, a UGA win is a strong possibility.
1 year, 4 months ago on SEC East Race A Muddled Mess After Carolina Nips Mizzou; Tiger Fans Make Fools Of Themselves
I thought MrSec was better than the weak, troll-like headline of this article. Very disappointing.
1) The Tiger "fans" who wrote terrible things on Twitter are not even remotely representative of the MU fan base. They are a bunch of ignorant, hateful stooges. I wish MU would find out their identities via Twitter and ban them from EVER attending an MU sponsored event. No one needs people like that around.
2) I am a season ticket holder who attended the game with friends who are USC grads. I spent them day with and never, no even once, saw a negative interaction with a Tiger fan. We ate at Shakespeares and the manager came by and gave them free beer. Many others stopped by the table to welcome them and take pictures with them. Never a cross word. On the walk to the stadium, tailgaters invited us in for beers and shots. I couldn't have been prouder to be a Tiger fan. Conversely, my seats are near the south end zone, close to the visitors. There were USC fans behind me who cried and complained, very loudly, the entire game about how the officials were cheating them. They sounded like a bunch of whiny 3 year olds who got their candy taken away. Not pleasant folks to have sitting right behind you the entire game. And the USC fans next to us were cordial until they tied the game up in the 4th. They then started loudly taunting the Tiger fans nearby. Although no one around us taunted them the entire game. Very classless behavior. Now I am sure these fans don't represent the USC fan base anymore than a few morons on Twitter represent the Tigers. There are idiots everywhere. But the 99.9% of true Tiger fans are getting a disservice in hearing themselves called fools in your headline.
3) The stadium was extremely loud and supportive the entire game. The booing at the end of regulation was sparse and not loud. i am sure it was a reflection of the frustration of watching the chinese-water torture like nature of a second half. It lasted a few seconds. I actually thought it was the correct decision as USC had all of the momentum. And the stadium was right back to loudly supporting the Tigers through both OT periods.
4) Baggett's miscue certainly didn't cost us the game. The game was lost in the 3rd and 4th quarters when we kept running the stupid hurry up offense when ahead by multiple scores. When you have a 17 point lead and the defense is playing well, the last thing you need to do is extend the game. For the vast majority of the 2nd half, MU snapped the ball with 20-25 seconds left on the play clock. Absolutely horrible clock management. Seeing that USC scored with 52 seconds left to tie the game, THAT is what cost MU the game. Baggett was just the final nail in the coffin.
Wow! What a great all-around game by the Tigers. With the offense moving the ball against everyone and our defensive line crushing the QB's, MU has a legit shot to make it to Atlanta for a chance to play the Tide. They would underdogs but at least have a fighting chance for the upset. Hope they just keep playing hard and taking care of business. They are a really good group of kids and a whole lot of fun to watch. M-I-Z
1 year, 4 months ago on Underdog SEC Saturday: Vanderbilt Rallies To Beat Georgia, Mizzou Dominates Florida
Gotta love a guy so blatantly stupid that he trashes a kid for minor offenses, when he was FAR worse than JF will ever dream of being. I grew up in the 80's watching Big 8 football. Actually liked the Sooners--much more than Nebraska, the other big boy in the Midwest. But there was never a more arrogant, loud mouth POS than Switzer. He was/is as scummy as it gets. As you might remember, he is the guy who bought Marcus Dupree's mom a brand new trailer during the recruiting process, had his WR Buster Rhymes get caught shooting an AK-47 off a balcony at the athletic dorms, had a bunch of his guys busted for selling drugs, etc. etc. etc. Taking his idiotic opinion and writing about just to have another source of Manziel bashing is weak. This site used to be somewhat fair and reasonable. But it is clearly going downhill. Can't wait until JF goes to the NFL and we can get back to actual news articles instead of pathetic yellow journalism piling on a 20 year old kid.
1 year, 6 months ago on Switzer: “I Wanted To Jerk (Manziel’s) Facemask” For Acting So Arrogantly
@kaffeen What has he been "convicted" of? Underage drinking? Oversleeping? A parking ticket? Man, you really are clueless to call him something he is not. I am with Joe Flacco. Didn't really know how I felt about him until morons like yourself jump on a 20 year old kid who was thrust into the brightest spotlight and has made a few mistakes. I am sure that you would've handled it much better as a 20 year old. I certainly would not have.
1 year, 6 months ago on Aggie Fans Celebrate “The Johnny We Know”
he NCAA would've gladly suspended JF if they had ANY actual evidence that he got paid. JF was smart enough to cover his tracks and has enough money to lawyer up if the NCAA actually did suspend him. Everyone knows he took the cash (which I fine by me). But no one can actually prove it. And the people who do know ain't talking.
1 year, 6 months ago on NCAA Takes The Easy Way Out With A&M’s Manziel
@KennyBetsill There are few that are as annoying and unbiased as Finebaum. Making him the face of the SEC network is a terrible idea.
1 year, 6 months ago on What Happens When Finebaum Calls For A Coach’s Job On The SEC Network?
Hey Nevin. Do they have good Internet access at your white collar prison?
1 year, 9 months ago on Missouri Coach Haith On SEC Network: “Huge, Huge Plus For Us”
All this nonsense and whining about the number of conference games the SEC plays and how the top teams are the only worthy ones can be accomplished with one simple fix. Have a conference challenge with any conference brave enough to try. As in basketball, seed the best teams against the best and the worst against the worst and see who comes out on top. If Mr. Bob Stoops wants to put his money where his mouth is, we could objectively determine which conference is the best. OU vs Bama, Texas vs LSU, WV vs Georgia, Baylor vs Florida, OK St vs USC, K-State vs A&M, TCU vs Ole Miss, Iowa State vs Miss State, Texas Tech vs Mizzou and KU vs UK. I doubt the Big 12 would win even one of those games. Do it with the Big 10, Pac 10, or the ACC as well. After some serious beat downs, this subject wouldn't need to be debated again.
1 year, 10 months ago on Saban Responds To Stoops: “Lot Of Animosity Out There”
The Bull transfer was expected but not Webster Chan. He has potential to be a good player but the game definitely seems too fast for him at this level. Either way, that frees up 2 scholarships for guys that wouldn't have helped next year.
1 year, 11 months ago on A Pair Of Freshman Mizzou Hoopsters Depart
Things have gone exactly Coach Franklin's way recently. But I am of the opinion that he is his own biggest fan. His own comments over the past couple years have shown this. He seems like a decent coach and pretty good recruiter. But his hubris will be his downfall. This is the year when he goes 5-7 and gets knocked back to reality.
2 years ago on SEC Coaches Boo And Hiss Negative Recruiting (But Somebody’s Doing It)
And you are clearly an eloquent genius. Must be sad to be you. @BridgewaterCards
2 years ago on SEC Figures Escape Serious NCAA Charges In Miami Case
This was a joke of a case from the very beginning. Anytime your lead provider of "evidence" is a felon convicted of stealing $1 Billion dollars in a Ponzi scheme, you are already on thin ice Then the info provider says his goal is to take down the Miami program. Strike one. Then you hire a lead investigator from the schools biggest and most hated rival and expect her to behave in an ethical manner. Which, as it turns out, doesn't happen. Strike two. Then you hire Shapiro's lawyer to get access to other info you can't legally get. Strike three and you are out of here.
If anyone deserves a sanction for "failure to monitor" or "fostering an environment of unethical behavior", it is the Mark Emmert. if I were Haith, I would sue the NCAA for defamation of character. He would have a very strong case.
I have no dog in this fight but I watched it live and thought it was hilarious. The columnist who thought otherwise must be a big crybaby.
2 years ago on Charles Barkley Takes Shot At Alabama: “I Got Mugged In Tuscaloosa”
John @ Mr. SEC,
Sure glad you called out SpencerMoore for being such a crazy conspiracy nut. There is NO WAY a fired, disgraced KU Law grad who worked for the KU athletic dept would EVER do anything to harm the University of Missouri. You called that one right on the money.
It is painfully obvious that you aren't pleased with MU being in the SEC. But it looks like you are going to have to deal with having an AAU school with good TV markets, a top 25 basketball program, and a football program that struggled in 2012 but has proven its worth over the past 10 years with Pinkel. We are here to stay. Get used to it.
2 years, 1 month ago on An NCAA Show-Cause Penalty Would Likely Lead To Haith’s Ouster At Mizzou
@badbadhoggie @SpencerMoore We'll see about the sanctions. Don't count your Tyson chickens. BTW, MU didn't make the choice to get rid of Anderson, he did that all by himself. But I am certainly glad we got Coach Haith. Looks like we are both pleased to be cross division rivals. It's a good situation for both teams. Evenly matched. Should be fun to go to Fayetteville and watch some games. I always liked that town. That was a cheap shot at Coach Pinkel. Lord knows one of your football coaches would NEVER break the rules or the law. For the record, Coach Pinkel blew a .08, which is the same as 3 drinks. Every person who drinks alcohol and drives a car has done the same, don't lie to yourself. He was unlucky enough to get caught. Still a better man than your lying, cheating Harley- riding former coach.
@badbadhoggie @SpencerMoore Hog--You sure can't tell that you aren't anti-Mizzou by your comments.
1) Maybe you haven't read other articles about the Haith/UM situation but maybe you should prior to writing that "Moo U had to know this was coming when they hire Haith". This situation is smellier than last weeks fish. There will be likely zero sanctions on Coach Haith or the MU program given the new info on the hatchet job by the NCAA.
2) I'll take Haith every day and twice on Sundays over your current basketball coach. During his time in Columbia, Coach Anderson put his feelers out every year and strong armed the administration into giving him multiple raises. Then, after the last big raise, Coach Anderson stated unequivocally that he just loved MU and would never leave. No sooner did he say that then he was in Fayetteville. Not the most trustworthy guy in the world. You can have him and his "40 minutes of missed assignments defense". MU then hires the self made Haith, who took 7 scholarship players and guided them to a 30-5 record. Just slightly better than Anderson's record at UA. Then CFH signs a top 20 class for 2013 and has a team ranked in the top 25 despite losing the NCAA 6th man of the year from last year and his leading scorer to an MCL injury. How is UA doing this year? At least this site thinks they won't make the Big Dance. Do you think maybe you guys overpaid for CMA? So to say Coach Haith is an average coach is laughable at best. Correct me if I am wrong but he did win some National Coach of the Year honors last year, did he not? Do they give those to average coaches?
3) I remember the last time MU played UA, there were posts all over prior to the game how Arkansas from the SEC was going to run all over MU with McFadden, Jones and Hillis. How a measly Big 12 school didn't even belong on the same field. Of course, that was BEFORE the game. After the game if was all excuses about how you didn't have your coach. Although I don't remember Pnkel suiting up and playing. Just because your team has been in the SEC for 20+ years to win anything doesn't mean it's going to take MU that long. I can't wait until UA becomes our permanent SEC West rival. It'll be a whole lot easier than playing A&M every year.
@John at MrSEC @SpencerMoore I consider myself a fair and balanced MU fan. I actually have a son that attends KU and have a daughter that is planning on doing so as well. But I agree with SpencerMoores post 100%. This case has been an absolute joke from the beginning. The NCAA is somehow taking the word of a convicted felon serving a 20 year sentence for a $1 billion Ponzi scheme and using it to try and take down Miami and Frank Haith. Nevin Shapiro, the lying weasel promised to "take down the program down in Chinatown" and is doing his damndest, with the help of the incompetents at the NCAA. As you reported just a couple hours ago, the NCAA clearly has some explaining to do about their investigation and the KU grad lead investigator. For some reason you discount the fact the a KU grad would do anything in their power to take down MU. Substitute Auburn and Alabama and ask yourself the same question. Do you think an Auburn or Alabama grad would distort the truth to take down their rival? Bet you dollars to doughnuts they would.
As far as the football learning curve issue, Spencer is also right on the money. 2012 was the perfect storm of injuries, tougher than expected opponents, and poor coaching that gave the Tigers their 5-7 record. I am a season ticket holder and watched each of their games multiple times. Now I am not going to sit here and claim MU is currently even close to the same level as Bama, LSU, USC or Georgia. But MU outplayed UF in the Swamp and lost because our injured QB threw 4 horrendous picks, 3 of which came in the red zone. MU also had 140 yards of total offense in the 1st half of the 1st quarter against Vandy prior to Franklin getting hurt. No way they lose that game if he played. MU did get outclassed and embarrassed by Bama, USC and A&M. No excuse for that. But MU will be back in 2013 and, barring the crazy amount of injuries of 2012, will be competitive in every game. 7-5 worst case, 9-3 best case scenario. Bank on it.
A few things:
I am a MU season ticket holder who was at the game. Other than that hit, Bama played hard and legal. The refs let their OL hold all day, but that is another matter. Not a foul if it isn't called. Wouldn't have made that much difference anyway if we can't score an offensive TD. Plus, if you read the link, Saban had the kid write a letter to Hansborough and the MU staff apologizing for the illegal hit.
I thought the Tigers O Line handled the situation perfectly. The LG and C pancaked him on the 1st play after and the RG pancaked him and got in a few business shots to remind him that it was a bad idea to do things like that. Point made.
Lastly, the Bama fans were very good guests and football knowledgeable. I sure hope the rest of SEC travels along those lines. Vandy didn't bring many fans and the UGA fans were a lot more confrontational and talkative. May have had something to do with it being a night game and people having the opportunity to imbibe all afternoon. But the Bama traveling party impressed me.
2 years, 4 months ago on Bama’s Fanning Delivers Dangerous Takedown; Mizzou Handles Matters On The Field
It was an ugly 2nd half of the 4th quarter. Game was up in the air (MU with the ball and down by 7) until the Jones pick returned to the 1 with 7 minutes left. Trying to block Jenkins and Jones with 2 freshman, a former walk on and both tackles playing out of position proved to be an impossible task. Good thing MU has 5 OL coming in the next year. They'll need them against the UGA, LSU and Bama..
2 years, 5 months ago on Making Missouri’s New (Ugly) Football Helmet
It's only going to be worn for one game. If MU could've held on Saturday night, they could wear them for every game for all I care. The other new helmets are fairly benign anyway. Better than the old block M, in my opinion.
@Mike007 @KC Tiger It has been a long time since I have heard or seen jocularity used in a sentence. You almost used it correctly :)
So MU should have stayed in the failing Big 2 and Little 8 so you don't have to say "I told you so" and you can hang onto ancient history to claim your superiority? Are you a Chickenhawk in Tiger clothing? Nice logic.
MU is joining the current top conference in football and is doing everything they can to compete favorably. The uniforms are part of that. Why don't you give them a chance and see how things work out. If they fail, you can tell all of us positive fans "I told you so!" But, if that would make you happy, you aren't a real fan in the first place.
2 years, 10 months ago on Mizzou’s New Nike Duds Not As Bad As they Might Have Been
BryLaw--As a fellow old Big 8 guy, I would agree with most everything you said, but I would like to point out something about the change in uniforms. As of 2012, MU doesn't have the history of most of the SEC clubs and the process of rebranding the school is a step forward in the evolution of MU. I can't say that I love all the new looks, but they aren't as bad as some originally feared. I actually really like the yellow jerseys and I think the road look is cool, although I am not crazy about the grey on the shoulders. It'd be great if they replaced the big Tiger head helmet with the Pro Combat from 2009 (you can hardly see the block M--or maybe a darkened chrome Oregon look with the oval tiger. That would look sweet). If the recruits are happy with the uniforms and it helps them look closer at coming to Columbia, that is a good thing. Remember, it ain't all X's and O's--it's Billys and Joes. The previous uniforms were fine and all, but nothing to write home about. I certainly don't remember hearing one positive comment on the previous look, from fans, announcers, journalists--anyone. At least these unis have you, me and many others talking about MU. i think that is a good thing. Just my 2 cents. I'll now get off your lawn :)
Lighten up. Francis! I am a Mizzou fan and you need to know are coming off like a whiny KU Chickenhawk! Just because someone doesn't agree with your point of view doesn't mean they aren't a "smartass" or need to "get their panties out of a bunch". Are you a real MU fan or someone else trying to make us look bad?
No one said everyone needs to agree on whether the uniforms are cool or not. Really makes no difference. I like the new MU ones, I like a lot of Oregon's combos, I like Bama's, but hate PSU's. The best uniforms in all of football IMO are the baby blue S.D. Chargers throwback that they wear. And I hate SD being a KC Chiefs fan. it really doesn't matter. All that matters is MU comes into the SEC and proves to be a solid, productive member of the league and helps to contribute to future successes. I think we will.
2 years, 10 months ago on Mizzou “Wants To Grab A Little Piece Of What Oregon Has Done” Uniform-wise… Ugh
The uniforms were unveiled today. Just like the title of the William Shakespeare comedy, this is much ado about nothing. The road uniforms look similar to the Pro Combat worn in 2009 at the Border War game. The home unis are fairly traditional, nothing crazy like Oregon's. A little fashion forward but still cool. I love the gold alternate jersey. Not crazy about the tiger on the helmet, but it's not too bad. Overall, this is a nice coordinated step forward into the SEC. New branding, facilities, top recruits, uniforms, conference. Nice work, Mizzou!
@Statesman They have 3 very good RB's but Crowell is the starter I think. If there are no setbacks, Franklin should be fine. Josey is another matter. Hopefully he can come back in 2013, as he is an impact player. Either Lawrence, Culver, Murphy, etc will have to step up and produce. Sure hope Culver turns out to be a player. Be nice to have a 240 lb guy hitting the holes and taking on LB's and DB's.
2 years, 10 months ago on Mizzou OC Yost Ready To Challenge SEC Defenses
@Sheizman @Statesman Anytime MU can play a team without their top WR and 3 starting DB's, it certainly improves their chances. If Franklin's shoulder injury is 100%, MU should be able to move the ball down the field. Whether they can produce in the red zone and stop UGA is another matter. Glad Mitchell is on the D side of the ball for this game. Hopefully our CB's can limit the others to a manageable level.
@Sheizman @Statesman UGA's front 7 is awful impressive. The reason I said the MU's OL opening up running lanes is key is they want to win is they run a very delayed read option that is designed to keep the DE's from attacking the QB on every play. If MU can run somewhat effectively, the UGA DL will be on their heels and not decapitating Franklin. If we have to rely on pass only, it may be a long day. But I do like playing against reserve DB's instead of starters. I think it'll be a shootout. MU struggles against the pass and Murray is a heckuva QB. MU 35 UGA 31.
@Statesman We'll find out Sept 8th whether MU is over their heads or not. UGA has a bunch of NFL defensive prospects so it'll be a good gauge. I do remember MSU hanging 33 on UGA in the Outback Bowl and they weren't exactly a dominant offense. I am a cautiously optimistic MU fan who thinks their version of the spread will cause some problems the first couple times the SEC sees it. They run a much different version than other schools. It'll all come down to whether the line is opening up running lanes and protecting Franklin enough to throw. Should be a good matchup.