Bio not provided
Excited by the Marco Polo stuff...
1 month, 3 weeks ago on DWM #483: Are You Scared Yet?
To me, the best three episodes of the series were, in no particular order, Kill the Moon, Mummy on the Orient Express and Flatline. If you can write two out of the three best episodes of a season, you deserve to win best writer. Good on Jamie Mathieson
2 months, 1 week ago on Best of 2014 Awards #11: Writer
@Unibot I'm basically the opposite of you, to me God Complex and Town Called Mercy were two of Matt Smiths best episodes, whilst Vampires of Venice was decentl forgettable
2 months, 2 weeks ago on Toby Whithouse Two-parter Confirmed for Series 9
All we need is another Two Doctors. Just a random multi-Doctor story in the middle of a season. But with 8 and 12 together
3 months ago on 7 Things I’d Like to See in Series 9
Personally, in this whole 51, there has been too much 11 and not enough Classic. But I understand that this is your opinion, and the episodes you've picked are generally very good ones imo
3 months, 1 week ago on Doctor Who: Fifty-One Favourites (Part 4)
@Master No More @12th's Sonic, agent of a new group, FNAF. Philosophers and Sorcerers are very different. Sorcerers are basically magicians (in some terms they are better that usual wizards) and Philosophers are basically great thinkers
Don't let the American retitling of Harry Potter sway your knowledge of the English language
3 months, 1 week ago on First Series 9 Title Revealed
The beef? The Doctor took over Santa's role for a while as a favour, and messed up. We know he was Santa at one point (from Series 1 "Who says I'm not? Red bike when you were 12") so we can only assume that he either forced Santa out of his job for some reason, and Santa is still bitter, or that when Santa lost his job or couldn't do it for whatever reason, THe Doctor temporarily took over
3 months, 3 weeks ago on Moffat: Last Christmas is the Strangest Thing I’ve Ever Written
@ilyootha, agent of C.L.A.R.A. @DaftDalek is Robocop, the original one @Pockydon That was my intention! New Companion arrives in the (hopefully) episode 4/5 two parter, and Clara leaves at about Episode 9 or 10
3 months, 4 weeks ago on Clara, or a New Companion for Series 9?
@Pockydon I'm doing Degree-Level Physics, saying Maths things the "perverse way" as my lecturer puts it is the only fun I get out of the sums!
I would like Clara the first 75% of the series, and a new companion for the final 75% of the series, but that isn't an option...
@Antee991166 @DaftDalek is Robocop, the original one See, Season 10 is my least favourite of his... I love Three Doctors and Green Death, and Carnival of Monsters is alright, but the other two... I really can't stand them!
3 months, 4 weeks ago on Series 8’s Interesting Parallels to Season 8
@Planet of the Deaf I prefer SJ to Jo personally, but I feel that Jo had a better relationship with 3 then SJ did
Of your "Moffat Tricks" the only one that was actually any good was the Two Heads one. I mean, seriously? The rest? nah
But man is the Moff a good writer. Empty Child, Girl in the Fireplace, Library, Impossible Astronaut, Snowmen, Day of the Doctor and Listen are all in my top 20 episodes of Nu Who, and they are all by the Moff
4 months, 1 week ago on Moffat’s Best Monsters, Tricks & Stories (So Far)
Journey's End had too much in it. Stolen Earth managed with it, JE didn't. So that's out. Last of the Time Lords didn't gel with me, and then that Jesus imagery... jeez... Loved Sound of Drums though. So that is out. Wedding of River Song was... alright. But, in my eyes, setting your series finale mostly on a parallel world isn't cool with me, so that's out (Inferno doesn't count. One, its not that good imo, Two, Series finales weren't exactly a thing in the same way back then) Name of the Doctor is the only episode of Doctor Who that I actively dislike, so that is out too. The latest pair... eh, I'm not sure. Dark Water was excellent set up, but Death in Heaven kinda seemed like the wrong ending for it in my eyes. Lots of very good moments, just not a whole serial that worked and felt polished. So that is out.
Left in the running are Series 1, Series 2 and Series 5. I loved Series 2 finale, y'all can shut up. It was great. Mickey was awesome. The Cult were fab. The entire ghost idea just worked. Jackie was great. Tennant was on top form. I loved it. Series 5... Probably the weakest of the three, but still very good, the two parts, in my eyes, didn't really sit well as a pairing. And kinda contradicted each other in part. But Series 1... First off, I love Eccleston. Second off, literally everything about those episodes is absolutely fabulous. The TV parodies. Great. The core Tardis crew being separated, coming together only to be torn apart, coming together again, and finally splitting up to fight off the daleks. Gloriously well done. The Emperor. Hell Yes. Lynda. Brilliant. THe entire supporting cast. Played their roles perfectly. Eccleston. Fantastic. The Daleks. Brutal. The Deus Ex Machine THAT ACTUALLY GOT PULLED OFF IN A GOOD WAY. Great
Basically, its Bad Wolf guys
4 months, 1 week ago on Finale Face-Off (Series 1-8)
@Adric the Genius Strangely, I pronounce Kraken like Traken!
4 months, 2 weeks ago on Moffat: Daleks Are Not A Contractual Obligation
@ElyotWren @JamesStroud Tbh, I would have rated Mummy as a 12, and possibly Deep Breath too for the body horror. But certainly the finale, based on last weeks episode!
4 months, 3 weeks ago on Complete Eighth Series DVD Delayed
Ratings and Doctor Who never go well together. And, to be honest, I think they just make them up half the time
I mean, just on the NuWho DVDs I happen to have with me at Uni:
Series 1, Volume 1 - 12
Series 1, Volume 2 - 12
Series 1, Volume 3 - PG
Series 1, Volume 4 - PG
Series 2, Volume 1 - PG
Series 2, Volume 2 - 12
Series 2, Volume 4 - PG
Now, I'm presuming that S1,V1 is 12 because Rose says that Cassandra is a "bitchy trampoline" and that probably wouldn't get past censors in the UK as a 12 (at least, not back then). S1,V2 has Dalek on, which is dark as hell, so I could imagine that being a 12. But, if Dalek is a 12, then surely Father's Day, Empty Child and Doctor Dances would be too? But apparently they are PG... Same with the finale!
And with S2, if Tooth and Claw, School Reunion and/or Girl in the Fireplace is a 12, then there is no way that Impossible Planet/Satan Pit is a PG. No way at all
So I reckon they just throw random ratings at things
Nice list so far! But I will always love Castrovalva and Mark of the Rani, no matter what anyone says
4 months, 3 weeks ago on Ranking the Master Stories (Part 1)
As an episode on it's own, it felt a little lacking, as the big climax was dead on the cliffhanger, and basically the entire episode is build up, no actual happenings
But I am viewing it as the first part in a two parter, as it is intended. And boy was it good. It set up so much for the next episode, the 3x Cliffhanger Combo was perfectly executed, and the build up was exactly the right amount given that an extra hours worth of stuff will follow. Fantastic
5 months ago on Rate & Discuss Dark Water
@supermoff burning bright Tbh... the next time trailer was the best...
5 months, 1 week ago on Rate & Discuss In the Forest of the Night
@JacobHaggerty Say more! Why so?
@PaulRaymond I completely agree (except I gave it a 7)
@The Lazy Cat is Hiding from the Mummy I couldn't see her at all on the train...
5 months, 3 weeks ago on Mummy on the Orient Express Promo Pics
@simon delafield @Clara Laurinda @The_Eternal_Dalek Works all the time for me
5 months, 4 weeks ago on Rate & Discuss Kill the Moon
@who251 @JamesStroud @shots1 Her reaction was utterly justified in my eyes. The Doctor dragged her away from her job, plonked her in a situation that she didn't want to be in, where she was forced by the Doctor to make a decision that would affect the future of the entire human race... It was not her responsibility, she shouldn't have been there at all!And the only time she had a "tantrum" so to speak was at the very end, where she quite rightfully got very angry at the man who put her in such a situation
@shyx111 @JamesStroud @Aztecs, Daleks and Cavemen @shots1 When I watched Tennant, I loved him. Afterwards, I don't like him half as much, but he is still brilliant. Matt is the same. The only person who has stayed so highly in my eyes after looking back on a series is Eccleston
@Aztecs, Daleks and Cavemen @JamesStroud @shyx111 @shots1 I completely agree with you, all of them are good. But some are better than others, and in my eyes Matt is no better than most of the others
@simon delafield @arakus72 It wasn't. That's why Norris' character said they went against the will of humanity
@Klaas Smit @Oliver J. "cool" Great story, serious consequences, brilliant acting, interesting characters, and, most of all, the way it made me feel. It grabbed me from the first five minutes, and kept me grabbed for the entire thing. It was brilliant
@Oliver J. "cool" Better than the 50th! Better than anything!
@iamthedoctor He's been a prat in the past... Just look at six!
@shyx111 @Aztecs, Daleks and Cavemen @shots1 To be honest, yes. He is good, very good, but he is still in the bottom half of my best Doctors list
@who251 @shots1 Why was Clara horrid?
@Klaas Smit Why do you think that?
@RieruM I'm presuming it was said that she left in Mummy so it was a surprise when she left this week
@iamthedoctor That's the point, they weren't spiders! The fact that they were killed by the disinfectant proved that they were germs
@Disolus I don't feel Danny convinced her she was wrong. He just told her to think about it, and if she was still sure she didn't want to go with him again when she wasn't angry at him, then she should leave him. No convincing at all
I personally think the consequences of humanity going off into space, and potentially Clara leaving the Doctor, are big consequences
@Clara Laurinda @JamesStroud @You Have 66 Seconds to Live! @The Lazy Cat Has a Terrible Decision to Make... Modern day, but I thought that the episode with her in 1920's style clothing was set in modern day. Unless I'm thinking of a completely different thing!
@iamthedoctor It doesn't have to have a dark ending to make it dark overall. After the first 5 minutes, there was half an hour of very very dark stuff
@You Have 66 Seconds to Live! @The Lazy Cat Has a Terrible Decision to Make... Didn't somewhere say that Mummy is 100% filmed on set? I thought the 20's clothing was Flatline...
@iamthedoctor She was certainly underused, but she wasn't irritating at all. She portrayed a teenager perfectly
@shots1 Just because he wasn't what you expected or wanted to see, doesn't stop it being incredibly good!
That was the best episode of Who I have ever seen
I don't know if it is possible, but could there be a way to translate the first two codes from Hexadecimal into standard characters? If so, once doing that try using a standard shift using LUNA as the passcode
5 months, 4 weeks ago on Kill the Moon – 12 Hints & Teasers
@MrRazza, WANTED: A Lord of Thyme Student? No TV license?
My order is:
1. Series 1 - The perfect series in my eyes. Has a good mix of fun episodes and serious episodes, and fun parts within the serious episodes. It takes into account serious issues, and does so brilliantly. And the characterisation of all three leads (including Jack), and of Mickey and Jackie too, is fantastic. The series arc was really well placed, the main theme was constantly there, even the episodes that didn't directly link to the arc were in the same mood whilst being in a completely different style. It was utterly pefect
2. Series 8 (So far) - Every episode so far has been really good. Not a bad episode, great characterisation, mix of styles with an over-arching mood/theme, but maybe the arc is too in your face? I don't know how to feel about it yet, we'll see as it goes on!
3. Series 4 - So there were some bad episodes. And watching the whole thing in a row just makes Donna incredibly irritating. But there are some standout episodes. And I like Rose, so the teasers of her return were great in my eyes
4. Series 2 - There are more bad episodes than Series 4, but also better ones. Girl in the Fireplace is my favourite episode of Who ever, and Tooth and Claw is certainly up there with my favourites. The arc was done well too, with snippets of the word Torchwood appearing
5. Series 5 - It's a good overall series, bookended by good episodes, but there are some poor moments in the middle
6. Series 3 - The first half is pants. Everything up to the Lazarus Experiment inclusive is pretty bad in my eyes. But the run of episodes from 42 to Blink is brilliant, utterly brilliant, with fantastic acting all round. The finale had some great ideas too, I just personally feel it could have been shown better
7. Series 7B - Some really great episodes, Hide and Cold War were stunning, but also my least favourite episode of Who ever, Name of the Doctor, alongside poor moments like Journey and Bells. Also the arc. Didn't think much of it, it was too in your face that the Doctor didn't know who Clara was... I love Clara, I just wish they hadn't used her like that
8. Series 6 - In general, this series fell flat for me. The first two episodes are great, utterly love them. And AGMGTW was pretty good too, as well as the girl who waited and God Complex. But the rest? Nope. Didn't appreciate them. Even the Doctor's Wife doesn't work so well for me as it oes for the rest of you guys. It is a good series, some great ideas, but some seriously mediocre ways of putting those ideas across in episodes (alongside Wedding of River Song and Let's Kill Hitler, which are down there with Twin Dilemma and Time and the Rani in my books) bring it down. Also the arc with Amy's pregnancy was badly done in my eyes, and the reveals of River weren't as spectacular as Moffat kept making out
9. Series 7A - Okay. I love Asylum, apart from the whole divorce sub-plot, which was foul. And I love A Town Called Mercy. And I really enjoy the Power of Three, and if it had an extra five minutes for that conclusion it would easily be one of my favourite episodes ever. But then we have Dinosaurs. Which is just bad, plain and simple. and then Angels take Manhatten, which is my second least favourite episode. If we take a vague average of the episodes, then they seriously drag the series down, which is a downside to the smaller part of this series split. If you count Snowmen in this series (which I don't , I personally put it in 7B and it's a great episode, helps bring that series up from the lows of Name) then it would be higher than Series 6, but it isn't. Shame, there are some good episodes in there
Now, 9 is my favourite Doctor, so clearly I would like Series 1 a lot. 12 is seriously challenging 9 for my favourite spot, so it is obvious that his series would be up there. And 11 is one of my less favourite Doctors (purely through love for the others rather than dislike for him, he is really really good) so it is understandable that his series are lower in my eyes. But I tried to base it on stories and arcs, and that's the way it turned out
5 months, 4 weeks ago on Thoughts on Series 8 at the Halfway Point
@ Notsosmartguy The new Caretaker. @'Cos Guess Who? Ha! I'm pretty certain he is co-writing it, like Time Heist and Into the Dalek
6 months ago on The Caretaker Advance Review
@Cyberbloke He looks really confused at the Doctor turning up, more so than Clara...
6 months, 1 week ago on Next Time: The Caretaker
Number 7: The Doctor in a hoodie
6 months, 1 week ago on 12 Great Moments From Time Heist
I'd argue that that is the point. With Blink being consistently highly ranked, List3n being better than it really says something!
6 months, 2 weeks ago on Face-Off: Blink vs Listen