Bio not provided
ESPN breaks up the Big East - makes film lamenting the Big East is broken up.
1 week, 6 days ago on 30 for 30 will remember the Big East
As a reminder - it's the coaches and schools that put these rules in place, not the NCAA.
And, as the NCAA pointed out yesterday, the pasta thing isn't governed by any rules. Try to keep up.
2 weeks, 6 days ago on Oklahoma secondary violations proves NCAA has lost it's mind
Here are some counterpoints on why it may not.
1. 3.8M average? OK, now what's going to be the average of the games that actually get shown on the network? I know they're promised some more marquee games, but let's not kid ourselves. The 1-AA and Sun Belt OOC games are going to be the majority of the inventory (when it's not two bad SEC teams playing each other).
2. 3.8M average? AMC delivers 7 times that on a Walking/Talking Dead Sunday at $0.25 a sub. ESPN wants more than 5 times that in SEC country. You might be willing to pay, but what about those who aren't? Which leads to point #3
3. You think that you leaving isn't expected in making this decision? Churn is all part of the game. Think about the people who don't care about college football (and based on the numbers, there are a whole hell of a lot of them) who might switch from Dish to DirecTV because Dish is foisting this extra sub fee on their customers. Now think about how many people live outside of SEC country and might get pissed off about getting charged for a sport they don't care about in a region they don't live in. The potential of a large downside for DirecTV is there. But how much of an upside is there for them? Because....
4. This is filling a niche that doesn't really need to be filled. What was the count last year - 10 SEC games that didn't get televised? Now customers everywhere are being asked to subsidize those 10 god-awful games that couldn't get crammed anywhere?
5. The big, bad NFL and the Sunday Ticket. Long story short, so long as DirecTV has the ticket, college football will be secondary and optional in their business model.
Finally - social media is a echo chamber on things like this. Look no further than Sharknado for your proof. There was *much* more social engagement on that movie than there will ever be on whether DirecTV gets the SEC Network - unless you really think missing out on UT Chatanooga playing Alabama is going to drive 5,000+ tweets per minute. But in the real world, Sharknado had just 1.4M viewers during that twitter storm.
2 weeks, 6 days ago on Will DirecTV carry the SEC Network?
rapid fanbase? SEC speed?
1 month, 3 weeks ago on The SEC Network is going to cost a lot of money
And mocking the FIFA candidacy? Child, please. That was a fantastic effort, even if it was flawed and doomed to fail from the start. Christ, how can anyone not applaud someone for trying to change the awfulness of FIFA, even if their effort winds up as a longform? If anything, that "blow" was the biggest flop of this whole thing.
2 months, 3 weeks ago on Twitter Wars: Grant Wahl vs The World
@KSJ49 if you don't think that there needs to be a loud, vocal opposition to Bayless, regardless of how low he hangs (eww), I can't help you. I'm glad he does it. ESPN is great at creating echo chambers. People like Deitsch are necessary voices to remind others there are other sides.
I kinda agree on SBN. Sadly, it seems to be littered with people who are trying to be EDSBS circa 2007. Even EDSBS itself has become a caricature of itself at this point. Spencer Hall can write really excellent things, but he's trapped in a persona that has gotten stale. Honestly, if b/r wasn't around with its terrible slideshows, SBN would be the one we all make jokes about.
Navy 42 Army 17 - getting back to putting the pedal to the metal. Not quite as bad as what Paul Johnson did to them in the 2002 game, but it's gonna be brutal.
People speak of Army "closing the gap" because of last year's game. I believe Niumatalolo played conservatively with a freshman in at QB. His ability to pass on a weak Army defense will only make it easier of the running game.
Keenan Reynolds will tie Ricky Dobbs' NCAA record of QB rushing TD's in a season with his first TD on Saturday. I expect him to add at least 4 more TD's to that record between the Army game and the bowl game against MTSU.
2 months, 4 weeks ago on Army Navy Game: Crystal Ball Run makes their picks
14,400,000/1,019,000 = 14.3
or are you saying spanish speakers don't count as people?
3 months ago on SEC Championship had 28.5 times as many viewers as MLS Cup
I'd give more credit to Cox and ESPN if they didn't shovel shit like First Take and Tebowmania. Draping themselves in the flag of journalism for something like this is horseshit. If they want to get away with stuff like this, they have to stop the other things. You do not get to have your cake and eat it, too.
3 months ago on Jameis Winston walks away from interview with Heather Cox
only one of those calls gave me goosebumps - Abby's header - amazing moment!
8 months, 1 week ago on Greatest Call Tournament - Round 1 Day 2
Not everyone can be as insightful as, say, Erin Andrews. I mean when you listen to EA talk about sports, it's clear she didn't just ride her looks to a studio show on Fox.
10 months ago on Katherine Webb's 15 minutes are still not yet up somehow | May | 2013
what kind of options don't have reads? seriuously. you're called "awful announcing." you should be at the forefront of calling out how stupid it is to call something a "read option." ALL OPTIONS HAVE READS.
11 months ago on ESPN's magic pixie dust makes you want to watch the NFL Draft | April | 2013
and him quitting is just another example of a writer who thinks their needs and wants come first, making himself part of the story instead of just reporting on one
11 months ago on CBS's Dennis Dodd gives up his Heisman vote | March | 2013
I don't think weaned means what you think it means
1 year ago on Saying Good-Bye to the Big East Tournament
the fact that idiotic "golf boys" crap has been on sportscenter for multiple days makes First Take look down right Cronkiteian
1 year ago on Bill Simmons' critique of First Take exposes ESPN's identity crisis | March | 2013
I'm just amazed that the people at NBC didn't come through with a better offer to the Big East. They read too many CBS stories and thought they could get away with something. But hey, at least the Ivy League will continue to lock down that 3:30pm football slot.
1 year ago on What is the relationship between ESPN and Fox going to mean in the future? | March | 2013
If katz burned his confidentiality, he deserves both barrels. No sympathy for a journo who burns that trust.
1 year ago on Jim Boeheim calls ESPN's Andy Katz an "idiot" and "disloyal" | February | 2013
David Amerson >>>>>> Mathieu - much more ball hawking, much less drug suspensions
1 year, 7 months ago on 50 Reasons to be Excited for the 2012 College Football Season | College Football
Paul Johnson has a winning record when team have more than a week to prepare. Don't believe the hype.
2 years, 4 months ago on Five Burning Questions: Breaking Down Virginia Tech At Georgia Tech With The Key Play | November