Bio not provided
@alamoaggie08 Appearently, stepping down by JT is more effective - saving face?
I hear some Big10 bloggers calling him, "aw Gordon Gee-Wizz"... like Walley to Beaver combo, or something like that? If anything it's billboard material?
6 months, 2 weeks ago on OSU’s Gee Takes Shots At The SEC, Notre Dame, Catholics, And Everything Else Under The Sun
For the love of god.... please shut the hell up? Somebody stop this guy????? Oh my gosh is he full of himself and the Buckeyes?
Ok?, Ooooh-kay, ok.... maybe he has no filter between his brain & mouth? Still... No president should be saying this stuff! Privately... let it fly. Publically??? Com'on, use the standard protocal or political reponse? Unbelievable... you can NOT script this stuff if you tried....
@mowens75 NCAA requires at least 6 teams for a conference charter to remain intact.
For the Big12 hypothetical... If 6 teams left to go somewhere else, the conference could dissolve. Therefore the GOR might end. Or at least that's how I would view it? BUT... Like anything, changes could occur and the 4 remaining schools could quickly offer 2 other schools $$$ to join, and retain their conference charter... Therefore the GOR could still be in effect?
Point is, if someone wants to leave a conference, whom has a GOR... They have to negotiate their exit & release?
7 months, 2 weeks ago on Buck Up, Expansion Fans, You Might Be Thankful For This Unanswered Prayer
Man... Next thing you'll know is players "flopping" on field from "touch" contact, like soccor?
You can only hit here, here & here... everything else will get a penalty or ejection, and the refs will decide which or both. Good thing rule wasn't in place when Clowny hit that Michigan player? He'd probably be ejected for leading with his head...
7 months, 3 weeks ago on AU’s Johnson Says New Targeting Rule Is “Real Stiff”
@mowens75 Only thing I think the Irish cared about was having Notre Dame win football games? If Kelly didn't have a really good season, he might've been booted? But since they went 12-1, Irish got a fat deal from NBC (what I think they wanted all along). Interesting how Irish announced thier TV deal, and whalla... ACC announces their GOR... why didn't ACC announce their GOR back in Feb??? Courious.........
Also, Irish just wanted a better home for thier olympic sports, which they got by joining the ACC. They're probably setting everything on cruise control now? Sitting back and enjoying the free ride... all sponsored by the ACC.
7 months, 3 weeks ago on ACC Grant Of Rights Deal Could End Realignment Madness For A While
@bhoop Is that "true" happiness, or faked happiness by FSU? I wonder.... In my experience, sometimes you have to take what you can get. Knowing its less than what you think you're worth, but better than nothing. Settling is hard to stomach sometimes?
IMO, I feel each conference is satisfied with what they might've got. SEC expanded to Texas & Mizzu and has future rolling with SEC Network (winner). Big10 got MD & Rutgers and more eyeballs for its BTN (slight improvement). ACC stopped precieved bleeding with the GOR (wash... would be slight improvement if Irish joined fully or announced an ACC Network, but...). Big12 must be happy with its Champs Bowl vs SEC, and didn't lose Texas or Oklahoma (wash). PAC didn't get anything this last go-around of expansion (loser). That's how I'd score it?
@mowens75 @FCDore My guess would be... probably not. IF... Big10 can get 70-100M more per year from th Rutgers & MD additions. I think Big10 will take the money and turn a blind eye? Opposing fans may b!tch & moan about how Rut & MD are a football drain, but overall... they'll come around? Every conference has its share of bottom dwellers (some more than others).
As for FCDore... I don't think Delaney cares? He's probably too busy cranking out money with the BTN, to notice? Like Slive, its probably a "meh, next agenda item." kinda thing?
@SteveBull IMO, the ACC needs a network, bad. Right now they are expecting 17-20M ea (with Irish & Loui). But with the SEC, PAC, Big12 & Big10 all projecting higher than 25M ea... envy & greed will force the ACC to move. Its a good bet an ACC Network will happen. Timing is my question (and money)?
@DanHogan Maybe? In beginning... ACC Network may add 2-5 mill each??? It'll take time to build up revenue.
My question would be, what if ACC is at 25M ea with its Network... while the SEC, PAC12, Big12 & Big10 are well above 35M ea (same year)? Will re-alignment talks start again? Which ACC schools will have wandering eyes? Will schools start calculating time vs money, like in college... what is minimum final exam grade I need to get a C, B or A in this class?
@DanHogan This ACC GOR is a start, IMO. It will help solidify the conference. It "may" deter others from poaching?
As for the ACC Network, I'm unsure if ESPN can do both? Meaning SEC & ACC simultaneously... I think the ACC GOR helps them, but the SEC is still a step ahead, since it bought back all its Tier 3 rights. The ACC will need to do that for TV content, since ESPN own all its Tier 1 rights.
7 months, 3 weeks ago on What They’re Saying About The ACC’s Grant Of Rights Deal
It would probably create more opportunities for FB & BBall players to mess up? How many student athletes have the personal moral character to ALWAYS do the right thing? If 25% had the desire, yet limited capabilites-funding... That changes, with an increased stipend. Those same 25% now have their capabilities increased (same desire presumed)... Who wants more muggings on campus? Missing laptops? Spice flow? Designer drugs? Fighting with officers? Drunk & disorderlies? etc......
Remember these are 17 to 23 year olds with hormones raging & limited filtering systems in place.
8 months ago on As Opposition To Stipends Increases, So Too Do The Chances Of A New Subdivision In College Sports
First step is payment, and IMO paying student athletes more than the cost of full tuition is dumb.
Money doesn't solve problems, it just creates more.
Agreed, Coach K is a smart man... Yet I feel he's missing about 1/2's of the picture, if thinking like a commish.
BBall is how long? 30-40 weeks with the Final 4 on CBS... What about the 12-22 weeks when BBall isn't "airing"? Re-runs on the ACC-network for 3-6 months, or longer? Conferences need more than one sport for year round, live, events to keep fans interest. Having a bell cow or two in a particular sport is great... use them as he suggested. I just don't know if one sport can carry a network by itself? Worth a shot, and better than not doing nothing?
8 months, 2 weeks ago on Krzyzewski On New ACC: “Most Powerful Basketball Conference…Ever”
@JRsec I don't know...
1. In today's world top officials move around. They rise & fall due to support by the regents, staff, and their accomplishments. Some think (like me) that Loh is very talented & great at his job. He stepped into MD hoping to fix the issues ($ xx Million in dept). Due to lack of public support, Loh & Anderson had to temporary decline MD funding of 7 varsity sports. IMO, Loh wanted the Athletic Department to be self-suffiant, and their current revenue model was not or could not reduce the AD dept quickly enough.
- Some might say bring that concern to the public, and let them further support those sports via fund raisers & what-not. Loh did. That's why one varsity sport was saved, because it generated enough money to keep going for 1 more year. The others didn't.
- Some might say raise gate costs, and let the events pay or reduce the dept. I think Loh did that too? But now attendance was dropping, and the money maker (ie football) had empty seats & skyboxes.
- Some might say just dip into the schools tuition fund, have the students foot the bill. Not sure here, but I think the students already were concerned about sponsoring or supplimenting varsity sports. I think Loh did not do this?
- Some might say Loh should've pimped out the varsity sports naming rights to corporations and advertisement groups. I think Loh did that to temporary stop the bleeding, but it still wasn't enought.
- If all else fails... Look for a larger payday, somewhere? Loh did that by agreeing to join the Big10. This last resort is what I think fans are upset with... IMO, MD fans might feel resentment for having to turn to another conference for help, because their current predicament isn't being solved by conventional methods? Those fans blame Loh (right or wrong). They weren't unhappy with the ACC, they were broke.
IMO, it wasn't Loh's fault. He did what had to be done. Had nothing to do with his roots? IMO, it was the right thing to do to wipe the slate clean. Other Presidents & AD's who face similar issues, may not be so lucky? I hope their heritage doesn't stop them from doing what's best for their Universities.
8 months, 2 weeks ago on Realignment-Followers Hold Their Breath As Blowback Increases Against Maryland’s Move
@DanHogan @John at MrSEC like for CONSPIRACY !
"who I have to wonder might be the most likely to be a one of those leaks that both Loh and Delany felt could sabotage the deal,"
- good one :)
@Roggespierre Good points, I agree with most... for discussion's sake, here's my thoughts?
More importantly, the ACC needs to win the lawsuit - or at least make it very expensive for Maryland to leave - if it is to remain a power conference.
- Why? Why must money equate to remaining a power conference? Even if the ACC gets all $52M and some more, is the public preception or pier conference perception changed (maybe even improved)? IMO, I don't think pier conferences really care, just as long as their Universities get paid similar amounts/TV revenues. Since "power" is now typically inferring to collective athletic $$$ & TV contracts.
Maryland insiders are accustomed to the traditions of the ACC... They will miss their (almost) annual home basketball games with Duke and North Carolina.
- From what I've read, it sounded like MD didn't have a natural rival within the ACC (to be fair, they may not have one in Big10 either)? Even coach K said Dook didn't believe MD was their rival, and he was disappointed in MD leaving. Not because of their matches, but because of public perceptions turning against the ACC, and possibly mislabling the ACC as "weak" compared to other conferences?
As a basketball-oriented school, they also resent that their favorite sport is not nearly as important as football.
- I understand that football drives the bus. But why is it that if an University excells in basketball or lacrosse or baseball, they feel unwelcomed or unworthy? Isn't it better to be accepted as is. IMO, I think many lose sight of the benefits other sports provide, even title IX? I'm not a fan of putting all your eggs in one basket? I understand milking rabib fans for contributions in sports that have massive followings, and capitalizing on that to ensure your athletic department is profitable. But if another sport becomes the next big thing, and MD sponsors it... Isn't that an overall good thing?
McMillan is a very smart and accomplished guy.... Generally, people tend to challenge process only when they do not like the outcome.
- IM(mostHumble)O... I think McMillian is playing the political game? I feel he's posturing himself to be considered a "big-wig" within the MD school system & regents. That's why he's making such a fuss, because he was NOT part of the "in-crowd" early discussions. He felt left out, and is now trying to gain support (via mutany style). All his arguments boil down to, "I don't like this or that". So I'm going to smear my own University to get what I want (boo-hoo). Even if his points are valid... He sure isn't helping anything, and instead seems to revel in stirring the emotionally filled, MD pot? Again, IM(mostHumble)O can't he work with Loh and MD behind closed doors? Does the MD public need to know, during a bathroom break Loh & Anderson discussed a coaches salary vs wins? I'm not suggesting blindly following top officials decisions. I just think there could've been a better way of voicing concern... like maybe a blog :)
Timeline for conferences (my guess):
- The SEC will announce that the SEC-N will be launched in June/July 2013 with financial details undisclosed (ie not the millions / school). Due to the low amount the SECN will generate, the SEC must slowly accumulate the funds (ie buyout costs) for additional members. This will place some current SEC members at risk, like Kentucky and Mizzu (they won't move, but eyes be shifting all over). It'll also mean UNC, NCSt, VT, basically anyone who's affiliated with the ACC, gets at least a 3 year breather knowing the SEC is financially strapped. Don't look for any movement by the SEC until 2017-18 <strong>MINIMUM<strong>.
- The Big12... Currently they're happy that Texas is sleeping. If Texas continues to slumber, the Big12 won't do anything, and it'll survive... although severely weakened and acting like a CUSA-WAC affilate. Their GOR won't stop others from looking, but it will make poaching from PAC12 or Big10 harder. Timing for ISU, KU or OU will be "top secret". Don't expect any news from any of those 3... Only hope for insider new is Oky State, where Boon might let something slip? Big12 may alliance itself with a scared ACC to bolster itself over the next 3-5 years, since it too is weak.
- Big10... It just finished eating MD & Rutgers... All conferences should be safe until 2015-16 and possibly longer? Guessing 2017-18, Big10 will have <strong>MONSTER<strong> TV deal for Tier 1 rights. With coffers overflowing, expect the Big10 to be on the hunt. My guesses are UVA, KU, ISU, UK, Pitt, Mizzu, Cuse, with slim possibilities of UNC, GT, FSU, Navy & Dook... Huge long shots are Tx, Domers, TN & FSU, but most are too far south and everyone knows Domers would rather commit mass suicide than join the Big10. The real question will be how big does the Big10 really want to go?
- Pac12... They're the true "unknown". More & more pressure will be put on the Pac12 to do something, and I'm betting they won't do anything? Not because they can't, or won't... But because of public perception. Since few fans are voicing <strong>ANYTHING<strong> at all, the Pac12 will "monitor" and watch everything from afar. If they can be sorta relevant come playoff time, they'll be happy enough. No need to upset the apple cart, or even jiggle it. The Pac12 will become CFB's largest savings bank that side of the Mississippi river, flush with cash, buying power galore. Yet no ka-honas to do anything, until it's too late?
- Finally the ACC... Who's that? You know, the formerly known as Big East? Yeah them. Anyways, they will hunker down, cursing god for leaving them in their time of need. Slowly they'll feel secure as the techtonics cool over time, but dought will always be there. Swafford will hope no ACC president will pay attention to the future payouts of the SEC, Big12, Big10 & Pac12. When the ACC Presidents do question the conference's leadership... the ACC Network will "pop" out of nowhere to smother the antagonists (pollitical postering which every US citizen has seen time & time again). The ACC-N will be even less successful than the SECN, but Swafford (if still in charge) can point to it, saying "We have one too, its not his fault?" My guess is that by <strong>2018<strong> the ACC Presidents will be fed up with the 10, 20 or 30 Mill difference... Getchya popcorn ready, cause the show will begin right around then. Don't be late.
8 months, 3 weeks ago on UF President: SEC Could Expand If An “Ace Jewel” Came Calling
@ppbrittain FSU would hold its own, if invited to BIG.
Not sure either, I think if University Presidents are truly banding together to exclude a potential memeber just because of gamesmanship or something petty... They're doing their conference, University & position a dis-service. People make mistakes, hopefully others can compensate?
True. Sometimes I wonder how big or how many should be within a conference?
9 months, 1 week ago on FSU A.D. Spetman Talks Openly About Switching Conferences… And The SEC
Notre Dame didn't have AAU status, yet they got a Big10 invite in 1998-2000 timeframe.
I see the AAU status as more like fast tracking or highlighting universities towards Big10 membership. Its not a sacred cow, just strongly emphasized or desired.
This quote from Spetman almost killed me, "It would be great to be in the SEC".... wait for it. wait. wait.
WWWwwwwhhhaaaaaaaat? <slow motioned head turning upwards, eyes wide open, yet can't stop staring at screen>... I need the Etrade Baby jif doing his, "Here's my shocked face.... whaaat!"